Silicone Casting Experiment #1

/
0 Comments
I wanted to have a go at seeing what thickened latex is like, usability-wise, as compared to the previous alginate compound I used for casting. I'll be using the exact same sculpey model (goblin head) as last time, so I can get a good comparison of the final moulds. Already I know silicone latex won't dry up as fast as the alginate has (it's already starting to harden after less than a week).
Anyway, as you can see, I put one thick coat of the latex over the model, let that dry and then another thickened layer over the top, so only 2 in total, but it did take a few days to dry properly, and ever then I was a little worried it would be too soft still, but I went with it anyway. It turned out to be just about okay for use.

 Next step was to seal up the gap that was cut into it to remove the original model, and to find a way to prop it up as well. A few small pieces of duct tape seemed to do the job of closing it up well, and a nice ring of clay help hold it up in the desired position. The plaster was mixed up smoothly, and poured in and left to cure.

When I popped it out, it wasn't all that great quality. The silicone took some of the plaster with it and left some big chunks missing. Other than that the detail looked good, it held it's shape well, and I know it'll last a lot longer as a mould than the alginate one. I think perhaps using something other than plaster of paris might be on the cards next for casting harder materials.





You may also like